Friday, July 13, 2007

Kids change everything

After the birth of my second daughter, I took a trip to see my cousin and his wife, they also had a newborn. We were a crazy pair of women - two newborns and two other children about age 3. While visiting, my cousin had the framed poem Babies Don't Keep on the wall. At first reading, my life was changed. I went from being a bit obsessed about how neat and clean my house had to be - to relax, you now have children...it is a new phase of life. I realized, no matter what, I'll never have "enough" time - like before children, the house will never be pristine (with the freshly vacuumed carpet nap undisturbed). So in that moment I decided to go with the flow! I put my children high on my priority list and now we have treasured memories of time spent together doing everyday chores, crafts, reading, etc. - all the things they cherish today and talk about at length. The more secure, safe, and loving the early environment, the more confident and outgoing the children grow up to be. Your time and attention are priceless! Both need to be doled out as needed. Yes, the dust and cleaning will wait years until you (or your children) have (or make) the time to clean and organize - OR, you could catch up the crazy way I did and move two times in two years!!! (Purging "stuff" is liberating!) Here is the last paragraph of the poem...

The cleaning and scrubbing
can wait till tomorrow,
for children grow up,
as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs.
Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

Hugs,
Gin

No comments: