Sunday, July 8, 2007

John Wooden, Basketball Coach

Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable."
- John Wooden, Head Coach

My local radio station interviewed coach John Wooden, retired Basketball Coach. I remember watching him (on TV) coach while at UCLA, he was quite a winning machine, coaching greats like Kareem-Abdul-Jabbar and Bill Walton. I'm not sure how old he is now, but to me, he hasn't lost the ability to motivate. There I was in my car enthused by what he was saying about life and ready to be coached! What a guy. I looked him up on Wikipedia and he is a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame as both a player (1961) and as a coach (1973). He is widely considered the greatest Basketball coach with an unsurpassed 10 NCAA National Championship wins while at UCLA.

This will keep life focused for you...This is John Wooden's Seven Point Creed, given to him by his father Joshua upon his graduation from grammar school:

  • Be true to yourself.
  • Make each day your masterpiece.
  • Help others.
  • Drink deeply from good books, especially the Bible.
  • Make friendship a fine art.
  • Build a shelter against a rainy day.
  • Pray for guidance and give thanks for your blessings every day.

Hugs,
Gin

P.S. Keep your focus, don't get lost in the distractions!

No comments: